If you plan to use it – you need to practice. Read the info on here and the MapRun website if you are not familiar – it will save you pain on the hill.
Download MapRun6 app (don’t download MapRun (or MapRunF) – they are the older versions). Always download & run the latest version.
Garmin watch users can also now use MapRunG direct on their watches:
- Ensure your ‘location services’ are set to Always ON whilst using the app.
- Ensure you have enough battery! iPhone battery life is poop – so take a powerbank or extender case. The main thing that kills the battery is the screen. So use your map not the app.
- You can (in Options & Settings) set the app to display your present location & track for some courses (though this is locked for some) I would suggest you practice with them OFF. You can look at your track afterwards in the bath.
- Ensure you change the default notification noise for the app – something not your standard ping – so you don’t get a text message and think you have triggered a control.
- Turn the volume up LOUD.
- Pop the phone in a waterproof case if required.
- You can practice by setting up your own course (see here)
- MapRun6 allows reading QR codes to allow the control to be “punched” or “dibbed”
- When allowed for the event you will see a “Scan for QR” button. Press this and wave your camera at the QR code – you will get a bleep and the control should turn green (punched). If it doesn’t then you are either at the wrong control else I have messed something up.
- Down the Test QR event in the Clwyd folder and test your “dibbing” skills below…..scroll down. You will need to display on another tablet, laptop or PC (another phone might work…. but may be too small)
Drop me a mail email@example.com if you have any difficulties.
MapRun6 is the latest incarnation with several developments. It is still under development so may have a few wobbles & bugs (but don’t we all).