Mark Edwards pics from:
Checkpoint 1 https://www.clwydianfellrace.org/?page_id=627
Checkpoint 9 https://www.clwydianfellrace.org/?page_id=631
Plus Flickr links for high res images
Or click on the results tab 2017
ENTRIES ON DAY ONLY NOW FOLKS
Sunday 22nd October
£6 for main race. £2 for Junior U16 & U18.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the forecasted wind & rain – Full body waterproofs, hat & gloves MUST be worn or carried (in accordance with WFRA Safety Guidelines). Also you must carry a compass & whistle, food & drink. A map will be provided (though bring a clear sandwich bag to pop it in – else it may get soggy). Kit checks can be made!
Details of junior races can be found here – race maps added.
Please feel free to print off flyers below or post on your club websites/social media.
This year’s Clwydian Hills Fell Race (22nd Oct) will include races for U16 & U18 age categories for the first time. Both these races will be top of grade for distance and are both AS rated. The races start with the main field before turning off at CP1 & CP2 respectively for the summit of Moel Famau and returning via the normal descent route. Both routes run on good tracks and paths and will be partially marked in respect of the age categories. As for the main race the checkpoints will be marshalled by the local Mountain Rescue team.
Entry fee will be £2 – you will get a race coaster and there will be small prizes for winners. All young racers will be chaperoned from finish back to the village hall if required (free big baby sitting 😉 if you want to run the main race. Village hall is warm, dry, fully staffed with our wonderful support team with hot drinks and as much cake as you can eat. Oh yes and free WIFI….!!!! (Best value teens day out in October on the planet!)
For more details on the U16 & U18 races please see the page
Just a brief note to say I will be adding some content to the website for the Cilcain (Moel Famau) Mountain Race which I have taken over organising this year. The race has run as part of the Cilcain Show since 1960. This year will be the 44th running on August Bank Holiday Monday (28th Aug).
I will try to clearly identify between this race and Clwydian Hills fell race that the site is primary for.
Apologies for the late posting here.
175 runners from far & wide took part in the annual Clwydian Hills Fell Race. The race had added emphasis this year, being the final counter in both the North Wales and Open Welsh Series competitions.
Initial clag on the hill tops cleared to leave fresh and clear conditions for the race. Ground conditions were good due to the recent dry spell we have had.
A superb turn out from quite a few clubs but Mercia frankly owned the race this year. They duly claimed the Petzl Team trophy with great performances from across the team. Mercia’s Paul Jones & Emma Gould took home the main titles with new record times of 77m26s and 89m13s respectively as well as picking up the Ladies O40 (Anna Bartlett) and Mens O60 (Glen Davies) plus notable placings elsewhere.
Traditional soup & roll in the village hall was despatched with haste and followed by the various donated cakes from the team & supporters group members.
Apologies for the prize raffle – my instructions were not as clear as they should have been. Hence prizes went to the placings (again). This will be remedied next year.
Special thanks to Cotswold & Keela for the prize vouchers, gear from the various team members, that cracking greta veg box from Gill plus the vouchers from Denton & Hyde Hair & Beauty, Maria Roberts Holistic Therapist. You are all fantastic and great supporters of the team. Special thanks to Stuart at Cotswold Chester for donating 2 helpers for the day 😉
Full results can be found and downloaded on the results page.
Results for the North Wales & Open Welsh Series can be found on the WFRA website www.wfra.me.uk
Reported on the public FRA Facebook forum 25th October by Mike Bate.
Please find attached incident report into the grievance.
It helps the Race Organiser out tremendously by reporting issues such as these either on the day or as soon thereafter and much preferable if any grievance is directed firstly to myself rather than posted on a public forum where any learning points are likely to be quickly lost in the noise.
As it is, the method chosen for delivery of this grievance has delayed the official results, race report and added an extra 2 days work into a week I didn’t have. It has caused stress to my wife, disrupted the half term break for my children (you know the ones I didn’t see last weekend).
I sometimes wonder if the term volunteer means much to the some people these days. My brilliant team of marshals & helpers are some of finest volunteers you could ever wish to meet. They come from all walks and stages of life. You pass them on the street without realising. Yet a simple text message is all that is needed to get these folks out of bed in the middle of the night to go look for someones mum or dad, husband, wife, partner or child. They don’t get paid. They don’t get rewarded. They just do.
Some of my marshals & helpers are runners, most are not. They are all volunteers. They are all willing to donate time to your sport. So the question is… are you?
I would like to know if any of you runners out there are willing to take up my 10% Challenge? The challenge is simple. Say you run 10 races a year. Next year run 9. The 10th…. well you simply volunteer to help don’t you.
Choose your most local race as that’s likely where you can contribute the most. Parkruns are great as they always need help throughout the year. Fellruns are better because your pain and suffering in freezing your bits off stood by a cairn for a few hours envigorates your life (if not your toes). Commercial events are best avoided like the plague. Ask the RO if you can put markers out, marshal, record finish times, make the tea, bake a cake. Pop your coat on for a change. Or maybe help out with your own Club’s admin, maybe volunteer to be on your club committee, even the national committee….. Give 10% of your time as a volunteer so you can fully enjoy and appreciate the other 90%.
Don’t plan your year around running. Plan it from volunteering and work backwards. As soon as that calendar hits your doorstep/inbox get your pen out and circle the race or races you will volunteer for – email the RO straightaway. Don’t miss the moment. You can then begin to bask in some of that 10% feeling. Feels good yes? Flick through the rest of calendar. Are there are any races left you haven’t circled?…..Why yes! There are plenty left to occupy your remaining 90%.
Wonderfully simple isn’t it.
John Heppenstall 28th October 2016
Parking: Where possible please car share as we are expecting a good turnout this year and parking around the village is not great. Please see the below map for parking areas:
The main area to avoid is around the registration (Village Hall) and areas around both the Chapel & Churches as both have services that morning. Please park respectful of the residents – don’t block gates, driveways, junctions, etc. There is good parking down the main road (Ffordd-Y-Llan) beyond the school, down past Pentre on the road into the village and up Lon Cilan in the village. There is some room on the verges down towards the fishery but be mindful to not block the road (large tractors use this road frequently!)
Drum roll please……….
Online entries CLOSED – Race entry on day only now. See you there.
£6 again this year. As usual any money remaining will go directly to the Mountain Rescue team.
Entry of the day available for same price – but ensure you allow enough time for registration & safety brief etc.